Kebab has a literal meaning of a dish of pieces of meat, fish or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer. They’re easy to make and fun to mix it up with the ingredients. Here’s a delicious and easy vegetarian recipe that you can easily master on your own.
• 2 cups fresh cubed pineapple
• 2 orange bell peppers, slice and remove stem/seeds
• 1 (14 oz) package of extra firm tofu (can be replaced w/ meat substitute if desired)
• Glass or metal skewers
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
• Dash of avocado oil or preferred oil
• Drain and remove tofu from package, wrapping with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Cube tofu into large cubes.
• In a bowl, add the soy sauce, turmeric, garlic, ginger and pineapple juice. Stir to combine. Add tofu cubes and gently roll in the bowl to evenly coat with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap to let them marinate for around 30 minutes (the longer, the better, but I only marinated for 20 minutes and they came out great).
•Slice the bell peppers into thirds at first, then into medium sized pieces that will fit on your skewers.
• When you are ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates to prevent sticking (I used an electric grill and it worked well).
• Thread the tofu, pineapple and bell peppers onto the skewers. Grill for 10 minutes total, making sure to rotate every few minutes. Enjoy with hot sauce if desired!
There you have it, a great and fairly simple skewer recipe that was satisfying to make and tasted wonderful after a long day! The flavors of the orange bell pepper and pineapple complimented each other surprisingly well. There are many different combinations of fruits and veggies that would also work with this recipe.
Follow your heart and happy cooking!